Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Terrell Suggs, tag em and bag em


Well its official, Terrell Suggs will be the recipient of the franchise tag for the Ravens. This is a brilliant move by Ozzie Newsome and the rest of the front office. It was the logical move, but still brilliant. It's entirely possible that every other team in the league would camp out over night in line to get a chance to sign Suggs because of his versatility had the team not franchised him. Mike Preston from the Baltimore Sun sums it up quite well:

If the Ravens don't put the franchise tag on Suggs, he will become one of the NFL's most sought-after free agents. With the tag, Suggs would earn $8.065 million in 2008, the average salary of the top five players at his position. More importantly, he would stay a Raven. As far as Suggs is concerned, he is still a winner. "I talked to Ozzie [Newsome, Ravens general manager] earlier today, and he said they would put the tag on me [today]," Suggs said. "I'm disappointed because I really wanted a long-term deal, and I think I earned it. But this also keeps me in a Ravens uniform, and this is just another way of eventually getting it done. "I'm a Raven at heart. That's my identity," Suggs said. "I started my career here in Baltimore and want to end it here in Baltimore."

This was an important move if the Ravens want to keep their reputation as one of the premier defenses every year.

No comments: